Sunday 11 January 2009

The Path Not Taken - 1x05 (XWP)

First aired:10.02.95

Yet another aspect of the character of Xena. Unfortunately it happens to be the development of my least favourite side of hers, manipulation.

Xena has fully accepted and embraced the role of Gabrielle’s protector, for good and for bad. Xena clears the road for Gabrielle who never even has to consider either consequences or have to face the uglier aspects of humanity. Though the Warrior Princess probably has nothing but good intentions, her behaviour in many ways is limiting Gabrielle’s development and understanding of the world. Something that will lead to ending up in the stocks and has to face possible execution. Gabrielle’s eagerness mixed with her experience of everything ending up for the better (read Xena saving the day) is already giving her troubles.

Once Xena has accepted the “mission” of retrieving Prince Unibrow’s loved one, the discussion between Xena and Gabrielle turn serious. Gabrielle clearly expresses a fear of Xena falling back into her old ways while being surrounded by people from her past. Xena more or less shrugs at her companion’s concern while at the same time managing not to be condescending towards Gabrielle’s fears. I didn’t actually think Gabrielle was this aware of how carefully Xena is walking the line. It also shows that despite the apparent lack of fully being able to “see” each other, they do have a very healthy communication going. That Gabrielle feels secure enough to voice her concern is a clear indicator of a very comfortable and perhaps even surprisingly (so early on) open relationship.

As Xena in this episode is playing the role of wicked warlord, the news of her possible “goodness” has spread amongst the darker side of their community. The rumours of her assistance to King Gregor and saving the innocent child is now following closely in her footsteps. Still she manages to “pass” and successfully fool the arms dealer Mysentius. This is where her manipulation comes into play. With a steely calm she works the dealer around her little finger, using words and confidence as successfully as she wields a sword. Not only does her manipulation work, but she adds another level to it by playing on her sensuality and Mysentius’ lust.

Marcus, the Friend
Then there’s Marcus. I like Marcus, I really do. Or to be more specific, I liked what he brought out in Xena, the teary-eyed regret. Just by watching Xena’s eyes during their interactions you could tell this man meant something to her. I also adore her final salute to him during the funeral pyre where she doesn’t refer to him as an ally, lover or a fellow soldier, but a friend. That is probably the most heartfelt friend I have ever heard and I definitely believe her. This man had once been her friend and judging by her passion, friends are something she doesn’t take lightly. They matter.

Subtext
Because I enjoy seeing what isn’t there on the surface, and I went into this thinking/hoping/knowing that there will always be at least one little piece of subtext in each and every episode. However this is of the extremely over analytical and metaphorical kind. The following discussion takes place between Marcus and Xena,

Marcus: “Yeah, the old Xena. You know, there is something different about you now. I mean, before, you-- were so determined, like you-- always had something to prove. But now, it’s--”
X: “But now--”
Marcus: “It’s hard to say. It’s like, now, you have the answer. But I’ve never even found the question.”


Followed by a very heated liplock and quick cut to Gabrielle looking adorable in the stocks. One possible interpretation of this, is that Xena has indeed has begun to understand the answer, which obviously is love. Love is the problem, the equation and the solution. Slowly she’s learning this through experience. The quick cut to Gabrielle works to emphasise how she is learning this. I’m not saying that there is anything between our two heroes other than a fresh friendship, but perhaps the ideas are already there. Perhaps they’re teaching each other what love is, and how it works.

Conclusion
The range of emotions Xena is allowed to display in this episode (in relation to Marcus) warms my heart. However that one side of her I dislike, more so than her violence, is just as clearly displayed. In this episode we see her expand on her manipulative skills, and her sensuality, sexuality as a weapon. I really do not like this side of her. Manipulation is one of the few things I truly despise in this world, I don’t have any good arguments I just do. Furthermore, to me sexuality is not a weapon, an issue, a problem, destructive or immoral. To me sexuality simply is, it’s something that links most of us and gives us the opportunity to come up with highly inventive and original ways of expressing and releasing it. Even though it has its dark sides, it really is kinda beautiful. That’s why I’m not a fan of it used in the manner Xena often does, to trick and to deceive.

Despite adoring Xena’s reaction to Marcus (though Marcus himself could have used some character work and not simply been sacrificed to the Horror-movie stereotype), I really don’t like this added "depth" of manipulation. Therefore I’m not thrilled about this episode.

Randomness & Memorable
- “I don’t care much for popularity.”
- Gabrielle in the stocks.
- Xena in the robe.
- One of Xena’s plans actually failing -- Marcus finding the girl.
- The Funeral Hymn.

Next Up:
The Pack (BtVS)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, manipulation. I will not argue that manipulation is a horrible thing, and I personally don't believe Xena was a big fan of it herself [talented at it? sure. an artist even], but I do know that sometimes you do what you have to do.

Anyway, can you believe I had never seen this episode before? It was a big shock because I was pretty proud of the fact that I had seen every ep at least once but somehow I had never seen this one, which is ridiculous, given the amount of brain space I've dedicated to Xena & Marcus. When I first watched the later episode in which he appears [I don't remember it so well at this point, actually, but I remember loving it and loving him and thinking they could have made it, in a different lifetime or something], I immediately liked his character for what he represented, it just never seemed like a big deal that I didn't know the backstory.

I have new found reasons for my love for the great re-watch, you got me watching new eps!!!!

[And do you know how exciting it was to watch a NEW episode of Xena at this point in the game?]